I want to let you all know that I've been paying very close attention to the recent news that Patreon has been hacked. So far, the only things they've acknowledged as having been compromised were "registered names, email addresses, posts, and some shipping addresses."
This from the message I received from Patreon CEO and Co-founder Jack Conte:
- Make your passwords harder to guess. Instead of one word, use a lyric from a song or line from a poem and pick one letter from each word. Include non-letter characters for some to make it that much more challenging.
- Change your passwords regularly. And never, ever share it with anyone. Even if that person claims they're from the place you're trying to log in to.
- If you're going to share your accounts and password (look, I know it happens. I share my Netflix with friends and family), make sure that password is in absolutely no way similar to your other passwords.
- Use two-step authentication whenever possible.
- Consider using an encryption database like KeePass or KyPass.
- Check your bank and credit card statements every month, if not more often. Report any discrepancies immediately.