Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Quote of the Day


"I want to do it because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be but a challenge to others." Amelia Earhart
The first part of this quote resonates with me. I know that drive to do the thing that might not make sense to others. It's part of why I created this blog. There are so many stories that I want to share. Far more than I can actually get to. It's almost overwhelming in a way. My list of future posts grows every day.

But when I see this quote, I also think about all the ways that women and girls are still overcoming the socialization that prevents us from taking risks. The fact that many of the stories I want to share are remarkable is kind of sad in a way. So many of them really shouldn't be remarkable in this day in age.

There's been some talk lately about the "confidence gap" and how girls aren't taught how to fail well. Failure is all a part of living, and yet many girls are convinced to just give up rather than push through. That's not a personal problem. That's a systemic problem. I want girls, and women, to feel like their failures are just part of the process. So they can learn that when things get tough, they will have the determination and strength to learn from their mistakes and continue moving forward.

0 comments :

Post a Comment